History of Outreach at Saugatuck
A sense of stewardship and sharing has undergirded the Missions program at the Church from an early date. In 1852, a meeting was held to designate a certain Sabbath every fourth month for the collection of money to be sent to domestic and foreign missions.
In the 1980s, the Church for a time permitted homeless persons to sleep in the sanctuary at night, and then was instrumental in supporting the establishment of a community housing shelter that became the Gillespie Center and Hoskins' Place, both named after members of this congregation.
More recently, the Church took a lead organizing role in the 9-congregation project working with Habitat for Humanity to build a new house for a low income family in Bridgeport. In addition, Church boards and committees develop innovative new projects each year.