Our History

Shaped by generations of faithful community, our church’s history reflects nearly two centuries of worship, growth, and evolving ministry leading to the vibrant congregation we are today.


1830

The Saugatuck Meeting House Association was formed to plan for the building of a meeting house in the area known at that time by “the significant and euphonious name of Saugatuck.”

1832

On July 5th, the original 36 members celebrated the dedication of their new Meeting House. They had previously been members of Greens Farms Congregational Church.

1835

The charter for the new town of Westport was granted by the State of Connecticut May 28, 1835. The notice was nailed to the church door and the first town meeting was held here.

1835

The Society of Saugatuck purchased the present church cemetery from Stephen Morehouse for $302.50. It consisted of one acre, one rod and one third rod, the equivalent of 1.008 acres.

1886

The Jesup Mansion, together with the surrounding eight acres of property, was deeded to the Saugatuck Congregational Society of Westport by Morris Jesup.

He stipulated that the home, considered a significant example of Federal style architecture, was to be used as a parsonage and that the property should be the site of a future meeting house.

1947

A resolution passed at the annual meeting to authorize moving the meeting house from where it had stood for 115 years to the Jesup property on the other side of the Post Road.

1950

In the early dawn of August 28, the steeple bell rang to call 500 men, women, and children to gather in the middle of the blocked-off Post Road for a brief service of prayer and thanksgiving.

Then the 200-ton Meeting House began a slow glide to its new location, six hundred yards diagonally across the Post Road. It was moved down a 19-foot incline on 55 logs which revolved under runners. The journey lasted ten hours and attracted nationwide publicity.

“This is more fun than a cocktail party!” one “Westport matron” told Life magazine.

By nightfall, the 128-year-old Saugatuck Church had a new home.

1956

An addition was completed to provide offices for the ministers and classrooms for the Church School.

1961

The congregation voted to join in the fellowship of The United Church of Christ, which had been formed in 1957.

1968

The congregation voted to approve the proposition that the Deacons would be elected “without regard to sex.”

1984

The Interfaith Housing Association is founded, and the Gillespie Center is named in honor of Saugatuck member Jim Gillespie, one of the original supporters of IHA (now Homes with Hope). Before then, homeless people sometimes slept in the Saugatuck sanctuary.

2003

The congregation voted to adopt this Vision Statement:

A Community of Christ
Welcoming All People and
Learning to Love and Serve
God and Neighbor

2007

The congregation voted to be recognized by the United Church of Christ as “Open and Affirming.” This was added to our bylaws:

We welcome anyone who seeks God into the fellowship, worship and work of this church without regard to their race, ancestry, age, physical or mental ability, gender, sexual orientation, social and economic status, or religious background.